Captivated by the Cinderella Choreography


Mainstage’s Center for the Arts Cinderella performance was phenomenal!  My lens was from that of a dancer.

I have always admired dancers—their gracefulness, the fluidity of their movements and the effortless way they handle intricate choreography.  So much so, that in college, (which seems like many moons ago) I participated in several semesters of African Drum and Dance. 

I recently started dancing again, this time as a backup dancer to a local artist.  The choreography is typically to Afrobeats, a music genre that blends West African musical styles with jazz, soul, funk and in more contemporary tracks, electronic music.  Many people today would describe Afrobeat as a mix of African music with Western-pop.  To learn choreography for a typical 3-minute song has required numerous hours of practice per week. 

So, when I watched Mainstage’s Cinderella performance, I was truly in awe over the vocals and particularly the dance choreography.  I started to calculate the math in my head: if it takes me almost 9 hours to feel reasonably comfortable with the choreography for a 3-minute song, and the Cinderella cast danced to almost 4-5 2-minute songs…well, that’s a lot of hours of practice that I’m sure the cast dedicated to the performance! 

Now I realize, if you’re more coordinated than me, (and you probably are) you could probably learn choreography faster, but either way, I have the utmost respect for the time and commitment that the cast dedicated to the performance.  The cast did a wonderful job evoking warmth and a “dreams-do-come-true” vibe to the captivated audience!          

Next up, is The Drowsy Chaperone.  You don't want to miss it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you Play the Ukulele? Would You Like to Play the Ukulele? Join us -- Its Free!

Meet the Peanuts Gang

Time to Use Your Family Secret's Best Cake Recipe for the Cake Bake Off Contest